Thursday, May 11, 2017

Not Goodbye, but See You Later: Parting Thoughts from a U.S. Diplomat



By Luis F. Mendez, Una Chapman Cox Fellow and U.S. Foreign Service Officer



Mentoring session with high school students

It’s no secret.  These are challenging times. 

·         We’re witnessing the highest level of refugee displacement ever recorded. 
·         North Korea is on a relentless drive to build up its nuclear arsenal. 
·         The planet is warming at alarming rates.
·         Batman versus Superman, the movie, was such a letdown.  

You get the point.  It is enough to make you feel bummed about the world.  But I have a confession.  I feel more hopeful today than ever before.  You see, over the last nine months, I have met hundreds of inspiring middle and high school students in the D.C. area, who represent the best of what America has to offer the world.  

·         There’s the group of former Burmese refugees that joined Model UN to better understand migration and displacement patterns and are now helping newly arrived refugees get acclimated in their homes. 
·         There’s the D.C. middle school that launched its own Model UN conference that is inspiring countless other middle schools to think globally.
·         There’s the first generation of Central American immigrants fighting to combat inequality in their neighborhoods and the Iranian-Americans out to dispel misconceptions about Muslims. 

There are countless other stories similar to these. 

I set out on this journey nine months ago to inspire the next generation of global leaders and along the way you have inspired me.  The part that is so exciting is that your journey is just beginning.  I think about all the amazing things you are going to accomplish and that lifts me up. 

For those still feeling down about the world, here's what I know.  You are an incredibly resilient bunch and while things may seem cloudy now, the clouds will pass.  It may not be tomorrow or the day after, but a brighter day will come.  I promise.    

One of the things that I love most about being a diplomat is seeing how much good there is in the world.  How many good people there are out there fighting the good fight without any recognition – ordinary people just like me and you doing extraordinary things.  These individuals are not different from you.  Whether you realize it or not, Model U.N. has already prepared you to fight the good fight.  It’s taught you to not be afraid to fail.  That finding common ground and developing consensus begins with listening, even to those you may not agree with.   That allies and partners are important in advancing your position forward.

So, I want you to ask yourself:  What your contribution to the world will be?  Will you be a voice for the voiceless?  Will you fight for justice and equality?  Will you be an advocate for peace?  I am counting on you.  America is counting on you.  Our planet is counting on you.  Make us proud!

2 comments:

  1. HOW I GOT A LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with Victoriafinancier@outlook.com

    Am very happy as am writing this testimony of how i got my loan from this loan, if you want to get a loan from any company you have to contact VICTORIA FINANCIER LOAN FIRM ( victoriafinancier@outlook.com ). when i contact her, i thought she was like the rest, and to my Greatest surprise i got my loan amount in my account and that was the Exact amount i applied for in her company. If you are interested in getting any type of loan, you should contact her no0w via email: victoriafinancier@outlook.com . She helped many persons that recommended to her.

    *Full Name:_________

    *Address:_________

    *Tell:_________

    *loan amount:_________

    *Loan duration:_________

    *Country:_________

    *Purpose of loan:_________

    *Monthly Income:__________

    *Occupation__________

    *Next of kin:_________

    *Email :_________

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    Diabetes
    Arthritis
    sicklecell
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete