By Tselmegtsetseg Tsetsendelger, Director
of Communications, UNA-NCA Young Professionals Program
Are you interested in learning more about
careers in the international field? How to enter the field, what to look out
for, and what to expect? I was in the same position in the fall of 2015 and
wanted to expand my understanding of how to initiate a career in international
development with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals. I attended the 2015
Fall UNA-NCA Young Professionals’ Career Dinner reception at the United Nations
Foundation and participated in the dinner focusing on Sustainable Development.
At my dinner was a USAID representative and a CEO of an implementing partner
organization. Not only did I benefit from hearing their stories, I had the
opportunity to ask questions about career opportunities and how to make myself
standout. The most helpful information I received was participants’ and dinner
speakers’ views on where the field was going and what I should expect not just
in the next year, but the next 5 and 10 years. Inspired by my
experience, I decided to join
the UNA-NCA as a volunteer and support the dinners as I continued with my
career.
UNA-NCA YP board members continue to hear
participants’ anecdotes about the many benefits of the career dinners. These
positive outcomes range from establishing lifelong friendships with other
attendees to connecting with keynote and dinner speakers for career advice on
topics such as passing a Foreign Service Test. Receiving this feedback gives us
pride in our program and continues to drive us to reach out to the most
relevant speakers in international development and related fields.
The next career dinner will be held on
Saturday, April 14th, 2018. It will start with a reception at the United
Nations Foundation, with keynote speaker Sanam
Naraghi-Anderlini. The reception is a
networking opportunity for the participants to meet with those who may not be
at their specific dinner. As any networking event, we always recommend that all
out participants and speakers bring lots of business cards. Following the
reception, the dinner topics will be called out for the participants to either
leave the United Nations Foundation to a dinner host’s home or to go into their
appropriate dinner topic rooms at the UNF. This year we are excited to have
five dinner topics. We always recommend that the participants bring their
questions to these dinners as they are the best chance to get any and all of
them answered!
We are really excited for this year’s
career dinner, if you decide to join us please register here.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.