| Dr. Wesley Reisser, Senior Foreign Affairs Officer, Office of Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs Bureau. US Department of State |
We are less than 2 weeks away from our Human Rights Awards Reception on December 10, and so excited to honor individuals and organizations dedicated to furthering human rights across the world and in our own community!
Today, we want to introduce you to our F. Allen "Tex" Harris Diplomacy Human Rights Awardee, Dr. Wesley Reisser. He currently serves at the State Department as the Senior Foreign Affairs Officer in the Office of Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs, International Organization Affairs Bureau, and we took a few minutes to catch up and chat about his background, current pursuits, and human rights.
Between now and December 10, we will be introducing each of our other awardees, but for now, let's get to know Dr. Reisser!
UNA-NCA
- So, Dr. Reisser, can
you tell us a little about where you come from and what brought you to both DC
and Human Rights work?
W.R.
- I grew up in Denver, CO and Dallas, TX and came to DC for
college at GWU. I started at the State Department through a student program
while in undergrad, and stayed with State while I did my MA at GWU and then my
PhD at UCLA. My background is in geography, international affairs, and history.
I only came to human rights work once inside State.
UNA-NCA
- What does your office
at the State Department do exactly—if you are allowed to say?
W.R.
- My office leads the efforts of the State Department to
protect human rights throughout the United Nations system. We also work on
humanitarian issues throughout the UN, as well. We engage with other countries
to highlight U.S. priorities and to talk about critical human rights issues. We
also work to draft UN resolutions, write speeches given at the UN, and work to
ensure that the U.S. pursues our top human rights priorities at the UN and that
this work complements what we do on the ground around the globe.
UNA-NCA
- I love that we have a
whole office that is working hard on human rights and humanitarian efforts… Can
you walk us through a day in your life?
W.R.
- Hectic would be a good way to describe it. No two days at
the State Department look the same as we respond to myriad crises around the
world. I would say that my work day consists of a lot of meeting with and
conversing with people from within the U.S. government, civil society, foreign
governments, and U.S. missions around the world. I am always focused on our
objectives and pushing forward what we need to do in order to win key votes at
the UN and come up with new things we should be engaging on. Things stay just
as busy after I leave State, as I teach a geography course every semester at
GWU, have dance rehearsal every week, and am working on my second book.
UNA-NCA
- Wait, you work for
the State department, teach geography, write books, and do dancing? You are
going to have to tell us more about the dancing and other hobbies.
W.R.
– I run an Eastern European folk dance group – The
Carpathia Folk Dance Ensemble - so dance is definitely my favorite
pastime. I am also an avid biker and love to swim. Travel is of course another
major favorite, especially to places with ancient ruins and a long history. I
love to read, especially books on history, geography, and art.
“…Since I started working on human rights at the State Department, I have of course found ways to tie this into other parts of my life…”
UNA-NCA
- That is really neat!
In all of these things that you are involved with, both work and your
extracurricular activities, where does your passion for human rights work enter
in and connect?
W.R.
- For work, human rights is of course central to what I do. I
have been able to “personalize” this partly by working on LGBTI issues, which I
first worked on with GW Pride as an undergrad. My activism there had been
mostly focused on LGBTI rights in the United States and even within the
employees at State, but when Hillary Clinton gave us space to engage on this
internationally, I was lucky to be selected as one of the first people to
engage. Since I started working on human rights at the State Department, I have
of course found ways to tie this into other parts of my life. I love that my
dance group works on cultural preservation and this includes teaching audiences
about other places and not just the main groups, but minorities too. We perform
Roma dances and I am careful to be sure we also educate about the plight of
these peoples and others that are facing grave challenges to their cultures and
rights, such as what is happening in Ukraine today.
UNA-NCA
- Do you have any human
rights heros or role models you would want to share with us?
W.R.
- I would say my biggest hero in this realm is Woodrow
Wilson. I wrote my doctoral dissertation on his peace plans at the end of WWI.
I think that his ideals are what underpins the international system we live in
today. I am also constantly inspired by those who risk everything to bring
rights to those less fortunate and those under threat. Some of those people I
think about a lot include Malala, Harvey Milk, Aung San Suu Kyi, among many
others. I have to admit, I’m not a huge quote guy, but there is one Winston Churchill
quote I like to use with those that say the U.S. should retreat from the global
stage – “The price of greatness is responsibility.” For me that includes the
responsibility for the world’s most wealthy and powerful country to engage not
just at home, but around the world, to make sure that people’s lives get better
and freer. We have a long way to go at home, but this does not abrogate our
responsibilities globally.
***
You can have a look at Dr. Reisser's current book here, and check out his dance group here. Be sure to purchase tickets to the Human Rights Awards Reception on December 10 at the Rayburn Gold Room to join us in honoring him and our other Awardees.
There's something immediately dignified about these NYC venues - it is beautifully designed, tasteful, and understated. Went to this comfy place recently, just the right temperature, good food and great experience.
ReplyDelete